Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Pray for Healing

Walking into the hospital to pray over the little girl and boy again. Bringing some blankets tied with pretty red ribbons. As we walk through the first hallway the little girls mother is sitting outside holding a little tiny baby. I tell her I'm going to steal it away from her and so she hands it to me. So small. She tells me it's her cousins baby and that her cousin is sick. Beck and I walk into the room with the two kids first. We give them their new blankets and toothbrushes. The little girl is all smiles and the little boy still lays there without emotion but we can see a little glimmer in his eyes. Still holding this baby the girls mother leads Beck and I into the next room. Here lies the baby's mother on a fly infested hospital bed. The flesh is rotting off her left leg and you can see her whole shin bone. 


The smell is overwhelming. I walk over to her and ask her what happened. She said her leg was swollen and started itching. She itched it and itched it and puss and water started coming out of a little scab on her thigh. The infection had started from the inside out and now her leg is rotting. The doctors say they are going to cut her leg off. What can I do? What is God going to do? Has the infection spread through her entire body by now? Is she going to live? What will happen to this one month old baby in my arms? 


She can't produce any milk. Beck and I run downtown and pick enough food up for the two rooms of people and some baby formula. Her cousin is not going to have the time to take care of a newborn baby on top of trying to work in the market and take care of her daughter. This is something I'm going to have to pray about. Beck and I go back into the room and pay for her medicine. I am snuggling this baby and it's time to pray over this woman. For the first time in a long time I feel hopeless and like my faith is nonexistent. Beck looks at me and says to pray for healing. I can't. I don't believe God will heal her. I pray for it anyway even though my heart is hopeless. I lay my hand on her knee and can barely breathe through the smell of rotting flesh. It takes me back to right after the earthquake. The smell of all those bodies. This is a different smell though because she's still alive. She lays on this bed covered in flys as the skin rots off her living breathing body. We sing over her and she smiles. A faint little smile. When it comes time to go I give the baby back to her cousin and tell them I will be back Tuesday. It's Sunday now. Tuesday seems so far away. At least the baby had food and the mom can get her medicine. Lord help me. Please heal this woman even though I lack the faith or make it possible that we can find a doctor to do the job. Whoever is reading this. If you're feeling called to donate to this woman's surgery. Please do so. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment