Thursday, October 13, 2016

Charcoal

Bag by bag. Bagging charcoal. Haitians cook with charcoal. They only use certain trees that make good charcoal so when giving food it helps to have charcoal with it. Food is so short term. Jacques and I are going to see if we can buy plants in Kay for people to start their gardens again. 
We have emptied the huge sacks of charcoal and after a few hours have finished placing it in smaller bags. Jacques fiancé has made food for us. I've managed to sneak around people giving me food and have been munching on my trail mix here and there. I haven't been very hungry anyway. Papa Dieudonne did make some goat head and intestines for the family. I managed to eat a few intestines and then said I was full and gave the rest to Edo. Mmmm hot intestines really hit the spot after bandaging wounds. I have a bowl of beans and rice and legim. I give most of it to Jacques and decide I won't be a jerk and I'll actually eat some. I take a spoonful and a chicken foot makes its way onto my spoon. Surprise. Jacques sucks all the skin off the outside of the chicken foot in his bowl and promptly crunches on the bones to get all the juice out. He and his fiancé look at me because the foot is on my spoon. My turn. Don't think about the chicken coop back home. I eat the foot and it was pretty good. Didn't have that manure flavor like the intestines. Jacques is crunching on a foot and one of the claws flies out of his mouth and onto my foot. He is so embarrassed until I laugh. And then we laugh and laugh until we cry. We both needed it.












No comments:

Post a Comment