Monday, October 24, 2016

Please Don't Forget

Poppyseed brought me the sleeping bag for Makenzy and I can't wait to bring it to him. I leave the group and Jacques takes me to see Mackenzy. James and Chansley are there too and Judy. I talk with Judy and then she leaves and I give Mackenzy his sleeping bag. He immediately takes it out and gets in it. He rolls across the floor in it laughing so hard. Back and forth he goes laughing harder each time. I am dying laughing.


We sit on the floor and talk about Jesus and life and things we did. We talk about the hike to Doko last year and laugh about how cold we were sleeping up there. We talk about our dreams and plans. Ideas for Jeremie. They turn the music on and we dance and we dance and we dance. Spinning around on the floor with Konpa blaring. Laughing so hard. As we dance we forget where we are. We forget the rain and the pain. The lack of homes and food. Big white smiles. Our bare feet sliding across the floor and the music in our ears. There is no place I would rather be. We sit on the floor again and they ask me to sing. This room has a wonderful echo because it's completely empty and so singing in here is such a joy. I sing and I sing. They lay on the floor and Mackenzy almost falls asleep. I love this moment and I soak it in. Singing there's a mountain by Dave Barnes to end the night. "There's a mountain here before me And I'm gonna climb it with strength not my own and he's gonna carry me when I get to weary. Carry me through. Carry me through."




Cafe (coffee) made by mama Clanide. Medical bags packed and ready to go. The crew of boys here and ready to translate. Today is going to be a good day. The team is better prepared after yesterday as far as what to bring. We drive to a town outside of town where there are many people waiting and ready to treat. Jen and I were lost with Delice on his bike so we didn't get to do as much. But Poppyseed said they were all kept very busy. Jay, Jill, and Poppyseed all had a station. Finishing up there by singing Amazing Grace and heading to our next location. Another courtyard surrounded by buildings. So many homeless. So hungry. Desperate eyes watch us. Explaining we are just here for the wounded the crowd dissipates. We set up benches to work on and everyone has a station and a translator. Very organized and clear. The last patient is a girl who had her leg shredded by tin. She had gotten stitches, but her leg was badly infected and needed immediate care. She sits at Jen's station and Jen peacefully starts taking the stitches out. Some have scabbed over and the girl is in a lot of pain. Her hands grip tightly around the bench and she breathes out heavily. Jen has to numb her pain. Each shot she gives the girl is in more and more pain. Jen is patient and gentle. She explains everything she is going to do and Delice translates for her. This poor girl. Afterward Jill cleans it and bandages it. 



Put yourselves in this girl's shoes. You don't have a home. You don't have food. You don't have clean water. You sleep in a room with a hundred other people on a cement floor. You don't even have a sheet to lay on. You've been wearing the same clothes for weeks. It's hot. It's muggy. It's dirty. Flies land on you in the night and babies cry. Your leg is full of infection and you are limping. You don't have any money to go to the doctor so you wait. You are discouraged. You wait for someone to come along. You hope. You wait. You pray. You wait for a miracle. Thankfully this girl received treatment. However, there are hundreds just like her. Do not forget these people. Sacrifice a bag of chips or an iced coffee. Do not forget the suffering and the weak and the needy. I am so grateful for everything you've done. I truly am and so are these people. But don't forget. Don't forget. Please continue to help. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment